Many of us are not aware of the PET scan. Well, I would let you know some information regarding this PET scan. PET scan is imaging tested that allows your doctor to check for diseases in your body.
A very special dye Containing radioactive tracers is either swallowed, inhaled, or injected into a vein of your arm based on which part of the body is to be investigated. The PET scan can measure blood flow, oxygen use, sugar level, etc. It is an outpatient procedure that is it’s being done within a day.
PET scans are mostly used to detect cancer, heart problems, brain disorders including the central nervous system which includes Alzheimer’s disease, depression, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, head trauma.
They are useful both for detecting cancer and for seeing if cancer has spread, to know how the cancer treatment is functioning, and also to check if the disease is intermittent.
PET scans also let us know the areas of improper blood flow in the heart. Various colors and degrees of brightness on the scan will let us know the different levels of tissue work, which certainly helps you and your doctor decide where and how to proceed further.
As you know glucose is the main fuel of the brain. When a PET- scan is done, the tracers are “connected” to compounds like glucose. The PET scan is capable to investigate those areas of the brain which are making use of glucose at the highest rate.
What should you not do before a PET- scan?
The PET-scan examination requires obtaining images of the body depending on the recruitment of radiation from the discharge of positrons. Positrons are tiny particles uttered from a radioactive material applied to the patient.
Presentations to be made before a PET scan:
- The day before your PET-scan is done, you will be advised to intake less carbohydrate diet for the previous 24 hours.
- More water intake should be followed rather than eating before your scan test.
- Those who are diabetic may take diabetes medicine before 4 hours of your scan test.
- A contrast screening is done wherein the contrast is injected into a vein to know the images of the body in a more superior way.
- Any physical activities like running, jogging, walking should be prohibited when you are appearing a day before for the PET-scan.
- Executing exercises before your scan test can affect your results of a PET-scan that might result in negative results of your PET-scan report.
- You should be careful while brushing your teeth making sure that you are not swallowing the toothpaste prior to the day of scan test.
Throughout the scan test:
- The time span of the exam will differ, but generally it takes about two hours.
- The technologist will make you lie on the exam table, and will direct you to be in a still posture or to hold your breath.
- You will have the probability to ask queries to the technologists.
Thereafter the procedure to be followed:
- After examination is done, you are asked to drink about 5 glasses of water.
- Baby feeding mothers should wait at least for 24 hours before returning to breastfeeding.
- If there are symptoms occurring like nasal congestion, sneezing, itchy eyes, rashes, nausea, vomiting, pain, tremors, restlessness, please let the staff know as soon as possible.
Does activity on a PET scan always mean cancer?
Carrying out any type of activity actually is based on the organs where your doctors determine by examining it. The study says that the collision of any particular physical exercise will impact more pressure on the muscles.
Persons who are undertaking PET scans should make themselves comfortable regardless of executing some exercises before the scan test then you should be letting your own neurologist know that you performed some activities. As he or she may make note of it to make them easy to judge when the results are out.
Executing exercises before a PET scan can set off negative results of your scan report. In case you want better and best results then you have to stop exercising in an extreme way preceding your PET-scan day.
When you escalate, your exercising activity it can generate various difficulties to know the exact positive results of PET-scan as these types of scans are very diplomatic. So that does not mean that performing some activities on the day of PET-scan always meant to be cancer.
This was some short fruitful information for you. Hopefully, it helps you out.